Sunday, August 21, 2016

Hearts and Flowers (and Shamrocks)

Considering that a month ago, I had no idea how to even begin to make this quilt, it amazes me that my granddaughter Lucy's first-year baby-clothing quilt is finished.

Here are the remaining nine blocks (the first three were on last week's blog post).

First, six more hearts (click on any photo to enlarge):
















You can see by the third photo above, just how 'poofy' this quilt is.

Next, the two blocks that my heart shapes just didn't work for:


















The flower--that's what it looked like to me--was front and center on one of Lucy's dresses, and I didn't want to cut into it to make a heart. The shamrock worked well not only because of the color, but in honor of Lucy's Irish heritage--and because the heart template didn't fit over the words!  :)

Last, the heart that I was so worried about because of the delicate, pleated organza overlay:


I used as many of the trims and embellishments that I could from her clothes.

As you can see, the twelve outfits and their coordinating backgrounds made for a colorful quilt top!


I like the back almost as much as the front. Just wish I could remember where this awesome fairy fabric came from! It has some glitter in it, but that doesn't show in the photo.




This is a quilt I'm hoping will end up very well-worn and fondly remembered by Lucy.

Have a great weekend!

Linda

1 comment:

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.