|Used release paper to trace the whole section for placement.|
It didn't take long to realize I'd be better off omitting the deck (especially the railing) and going with a simple wood cabin.
|Fused all pieces at once on the release paper, then fused the whole section to the quilt top.|
Added some trees, and a bit of meadow grass on the distant downhill slope.
But the cabin looked too plain and blank without windows, so some pale gray-blue batik was fused onto the cabin wall. Then the whole cabin was touched up, windows included, with a Marvy fabric-paint marker and a Sharpie marker. (Later, the trees were highlighted with a yellow fabric marker.)
Next it was time to audition fabric for middle-ground and foreground meadow grass.
I'm switching to black-and-white photos at this point. One reason is to better illustrate, without the distraction of color, the difference between my original choice to use this large-scale grass print for both middle ground and foreground...
|large-scale grass print extending all the way from the tree line to the foreground|
|Small-scale grass print below tree line for middle ground, large scale to be used in foreground.|
Next up will probably be the birdhouse section. That will be constructed off-site, just as the cabin section was.
Off subject, finished an outfit for the Lucy drawer:
This is a swing-top and diaper cover knitted in Rowan Handknit Cotton. The outfit in the pattern book was made in three colors as well, just not these. My colors were chosen from a swatch chart on a yarn company's website, and when the yarn arrived I realized that only one of the colors, the turquoise, actually looks just like it did on the website. Hence, at first glance this color combo may look a little strange, but I've gotten used to it now. And Lucy won't care. Not yet, anyway.
Hooking up with Whoop Whoop Fridays, where Sarah has finished a wonderful photo quilt.
Everyone have a great weekend. And happy autumn!!